Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2011

From glory to glory, the truth remains...

From glory to glory, the truth remains... (2007)
=========================================

Five years old, swinging my arms and my whole body around and around till I'm completely drunk. Attempting to walk in a straight line, only to fall on the floor dizzy and laughing till my stomach hurt. Sleeping over at cousins and grandma's as my mom got her thesis done.

Nine years old, the neighbour's kids would come over, and a whole parallel world existed in our garden. Twigs turned into swords, sand into magic dust, little boys into knights and our old tree in front, the dungeon we all feared when taken captive. These were happy and sad days, with laughs and tears over grazed knees, and broken teeth, and the icelolly van driving down the road. Mmmmm...

At twelve, the hot summers would find us diving in the neighbour's pool, jumping in the deep side, doggy paddling, back float, surfboard at the base, "Who can stay underwater the longest?", the only form of entertainment that eased the heat and calmed our emotions...

At fourteen, just beginning high school, a ball of nerves and totally out of place. Fears of lice and goitres, threatening to ruin my image, yet at the same time not wanting to party to the extreme with all the added things that go with it, just to fit in. Not here, not there, I hated Mondays and lived for weekends to be with the friends who accepted me for who I am.

At seventeen, I found myself swallowing many tots to drown the emotions and hurts I found myself in. On the outside I was cool, popular friend. At the right place, the right time with the right clothes and drink in my hand. Handsome men, popular clubs, loud, crazy, funny... But on the inside completely empty, lonely, questioning all I see around me.

At nineteen, my first taste of truth, and have never turned back. Made some major mistakes in my twenties, losing so much of me, losing so many friends, yet never losing that truth, which found me, and rebuilt alot and still builds the broken parts in me.

How I loved my childhood! But even more so how I love knowing that wherever I find myself, whatever season, whatever age, whatever storm, whatever success, I am not alone, nor is each phase unable to be used to shape me and remake me into an even more beautiful person, than I was before that season. I am changed from glory to glory and despite all that falls away in my life, the truth remains.


*This short essay was written when I took part in a group called Word Expo, basically using the weekly words to write something, I used all the words below except goitre (only because I forgot, would have still fit in this poem)
* drunk
* dungeon
* float
* goitre
* swallowing
* truth

No comments:

Post a Comment